Idea #274 – Visiting the old town of Split
The city of Split is the second city the most populated with Croatia and the seat of the Comitat of Split-Dalmatia. It became established inside, then around the immense palace of the Roman emperor Diocletian, built between 294 and 305, which extended over a surface of 39 000 m².
This palace, besides residential buildings, included thermal baths, library, temple dedicated to Jupiter, barracks, and was closed by a quadrangular surrounding wall of 215 meters on 280 meters, flanked in angles and drilled by four triumph gates. The sea front of the city is still constituted by the surrounding wall of the palace, on which still opens the maritime door, which in Antiquity, allowed the ships to accost directly. The emperor was native of the city of Salone, capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia, situated on the heights of Split, and spent the end of its life there, during Tétrarchie.
From 615, the palace is transformed in town with the influx of the inhabitants of Salone. High houses are established in or against ramparts, or still in the antique monuments. The mausoleum of Diocletian is transformed into cathedral dedicated to Saint-Domnius or Duje, protective saint of the city, and in 650, the temple of Jupiter becomes a baptistry. In 1420, Split was integrated into the Republic of Venice, until its disappearance in 1797. The city is registered on the list of the world heritage by the UNESCO today. Its visit is extraordinary of wealth, a paradise for archaeologists. Go, we search.
Where is it ?
Split, Dalmatia, Croatia