Qalaat al Bahrain, the fort of Bahrain, was built in 1522 by the Portuguese on a site occupied from the Bronze Age. The archeological site, situated under the fort, is the former capital of Dilmun, one of the most important antique civilizations of the region. He contains the richest vestiges listed of this civilization, knowledge of which we had previously only through the Sumerian papers. The stratigraphy of the tell, the artificial hill of 300 meters on 600 meters established by the man, gives evidence of a constant human presence since approximately 2300 av. J.-C. until the XVIth century AD. Near a quarter of the site was already the object of searches, which revealed structures of diverse types: residential, public, commercial, religious and military. They testify of the importance of the place, the commercial port, through the centuries. At the top of the hill 12 meters in height is the impressive very Portuguese, which gave its name in the whole site (qal’ at meaning ‘fort’).
The site was excavated since the XXth century, at first by a Danish team (1954-1972, managed by Peter Vilhelm Glob, assisted by Geoffrey Bibby), then by two French archaeological missions (managed respectively by Monique Kervran from 1977 till 1988 and by Pierre Lombard since 1989, in close collaboration with the sector of Archaeology and Heritage of the Ministry of Culture of the Kingdom of Bahrain. The site was added in the world heritage list by Unesco in 2005.
Where is it ?
Qal’At Bahrein, Manama, Bahrein