Idea # 246 – Visiting Salzburg
The site would have been occupied from the Neolithic, then by the Illyrians, followed by the Celts in 400 before J.C. In 45, Juvavum became a member of the Roman Empire and acquires the municipal right. In 5th century, a convent is fitted out there. In 699, bishop Rupert von Worms receives the city in donation on behalf of the count of Bavaria and in 739, the city is bishop’s see, then becomes one citstate governed by princes-archbishops. In 1077, the fortress of Hohensalzburgest built on the height by prince-archbishop Gebhard.
In the XVIIth century, the city get “baroccised”, in particular under princes-archbishops Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau, Markus Sittikus Graf von Hohenems and Paris von Lodron. 1803 marks the end of the reigns of the princes archbishops of Salzburg. The city belongs to Ferdinand III de Toscane; in 1805, it is annexed with Berchtesgaden in Austria. In 1810, it is connected in Bavaria then in 1816, it is again re-entered in Austria.
The streets of the old town, the real maze made of old houses and former workshops, are completely remarkable. The only cars which we cross are hackney cabs there. The most famous streets are Goldgasse, Judengasse and especially very famous Getreidegasse, shopping street stores of which are recognizable thanks to their wrought iron gilded shield. You can find the house there where Mozart lived since his birth until his 19 years. The old town is registered on the UNESCO world heritage list. Let’s go having a strudel !
Where is it ?